Wednesday, January 9, 2013

SAB Audition Review/Feelings

Hello everyone! Today I have a review for you for SAB's, or the School of American Ballet's, summer intensive audition. Well...I'm going to call it a review, but basically it's just my experience. I'll be doing this for all my other summer intensive auditions too, so I hope you enjoy!

Prior to the Audition
I arrived at the audition a full hour early, even though I was pre-registered. I prefer to be there early to make sure I have enough time to stretch and get myself mentally prepared. There I was given a few things, including a number and two safety pins to pin it onto my leotard. When the audition was about to start, they had us line up outside the studio, so we could file into the studio in an orderly fashion.
The Audition
Once in the studio, we were sorted by number at the barre. The combinations were pretty simple, they were just looking for the level of technique we had.
Center was pretty much the same difficulty. They had us go in groups, and after we finished each combination, the man who was giving us the combinations and the women who was watching would whisper and stare at the students. That was probably the scariest moment, when you realized the were looking at you. I also had an extremely difficult time turning for some reason. Unfortunately, I hadn't taken any class yet, just coming off of break, so I didn't have a whole lot I could do to prepare.
There was only one or two combos across the floor, grand allegro, and then came pointe. Surprisingly, all we did was echappes. I expected that we would have to do more, at least piques, but I guess not.
Results
I don't know yet, but I will on Friday probably. I don't expect to get in, seeing that they didn't see my best, but I still have five more auditions to pull my act together (I added PNB to my list), and hopefully impress someone.

Have you auditioned for something yet/will you be auditioning in the future? Comment below your experience, or any requests or questions!

<3

2 comments:

  1. i am planning on auditioning for SAB summer intensive. hope it goes well

    ReplyDelete