Monday, January 7, 2013

How to Prepare for an Audition

Hello everyone! I had a request (I love saying that!) to do a post on how to prepare for an audition, specifically summer intensive auditions (for ballet, if you happen to be someone who stumbled upon my blog just now). I'm just going to list-in order-how to prepare...so here we go!

1. Eat well. You don't want to feel crummy going into an audition, because that can definitely affect your performance. You don't want any foods that may make you feel slightly bloated, so if your audition is in the morning, I would suggest eating something like yogurt and granola, or even vegetables if you feel up to it. If your audition is afternoon/evening, I would suggest both carbs and vegetables. My audition yesterday was at three yesterday, so my lunch was caeser salad and a pita bread half with cucumbers and hummus. It was definitely very filling, yet I didn't feel like I had eaten too much.

2. Shower right before you get dressed. Even if you just did the night before, its always good going in feeling fresh.

3. Get dressed. Pink tights and pink flat shoes are pretty much always a given, as well as bringing pointe shoes, unless the audition requires you to do some other type of dance. For a leotard, I would just go with simple and black. If the website for the company says that you can wear any color leotard, wearing something slightly less ordinary, like maybe white or navy. This can call a little more attention to yourself without being too flashy.

4. Do your hair/makeup. I would recommend thinking, hair-wise, of it as a performance. Have it tight, with all extra baby hairs hairspray-ed or gelled. Makeup wise, go simple. A little concealer and mascara will be fine, but nothing too extravagant.

5.  Get together an photos/important papers. Often in auditions they will ask you to have some sort of photos or photos. The most common is first arabesque, but also echappe (did I spell that right?) and headshots are also sometimes required. Other possible papers are proof of birth (ex. birth certificate), proof of pre registration (if that was possible and you did).

6. Pack your dance bag carefully. Double check you have your flat shoes and pointe shoes (if you need to do some of the audition on pointe), and anything else necessary to bring.

7. Smile and feel confidant. Auditions are fun! Sure, it's nerve wracking, but if you if you let it get to you too much, it will show in the audition. Breathe, and enjoy it!

I hope this was helpful! Comment any other post suggestions :)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment